Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Obama for President

I would not say that I am a McCain fan or even a supporter but I am certainly not an Obama supporter. I received this link in an email this morning and I am appalled. I do not believe every thing in the speech given by Obama is entirely in context (I may change my mind after viewing the complete speech) and certainly do not agree with all the narrator says. However, it is extremely upsetting to me to see one who claims to be a “Christian” and yet deals so crassly with the Word of God.

This is a sign of the times and how far the world has slipped in its morality. However, I would encourage you to study, pray and realize that we still live in a country where we are free to worship God not how we choose but how He (He being God) would have us. We are also to live as God would have us live. As long as we have these freedoms than we are more blessed than many of our fellow brothers and sisters in Christ around the world and should thank God daily for them.

It is ok to be upset by this and by the fact that the two choices for the presidency are so poor this go around but remember to count your blessings.

Please let me know what you think after watching the video.

http://www.youtub.com/v/4FCNKwHRCQM


You could simply google "call to renewal video" and watch a series of youTube videos or go here to read the complete manuscript.


3 comments:

Mark said...

I think in some ways, I agree with some of what he's said. If we tried to literally apply many Old Testament biblical passages in how we govern people, it would not go over well at all. Then again, I also believe that our government could be a lot stricter if it chose to be in some regards. As Romans says, the government carries the sword, and has the right to punish evil. We tolerate an awful lot of things in this country that wouldn't be tolerated if we were living under Mosaic Law.

To me, this just demonstrates that even though Obama may be a great speech maker, he's still just another politician. He will say whatever he needs to say in whatever situation he needs to say it to get people's approval.

Andy said...

After watching and reading the entire speech I feel the clipped youtube video is off. However, the pluralistic world view he puts forth and the way he picks through the Word of God so casually is still a little off to me.

If Obama knew what the Bible says he would have never suggested that we Christians want to use the OT for governing. The Old Law is nailed to the cross (Col. 2:14; Heb 8:13; Gal 3:24-25). I guess my point is if the OT is gone and those who claim to know Christ would suggest that we look to the OT for laws clearly does not know Christ.

I will later write about pluralism in todays society so will leave that for now.

Mark said...

Interesting. I could tell by the editing that something didn't feel right. I prefer unedited clips without commentary.

We have to be careful not to show too much disregard for OT Law, if we believe that God's nature is unchanging. I think we should view the 10 Commandments as solidly as we view the law of gravity. If you break one, it will hurt you.

But yes, we are definitely no longer under the obligation to keep all of the OT Law, particularly in the ritual sense. But since it is a clear indication of what God wanted from his own people, it should help inform our understanding of God's will for us, even under a new covenant.